Public Relations (or PR) is all about maintaining a favorable image as an individual or a company with the general public.
- It will not be wrong if we say that it is a way of coordinating between an organization’s perception and public conversations but there is a wider range than this.
- These activities are used to promote organizations, businesses, and individuals.
- For example, A film production company may launch a PR campaign to promote a new movie.
- A smart phone manufacturer can do the same for marketing of their new product.
- And if we talk about an individual, he can launch a PR campaign on social media to build his reputation in the market as a brand.
- If we talk about 15 years back now when social media was not so popular.
- Then PR was limited to some sources such as Press, Tv, and Radio.
- In the last couple of years, now Public Relations activity campaigns are more popular digitally such as influencer engagement, pay-per-click, or social media.
Create a PR Strategy
- If you are serious enough to make your personal brand stronger, either to help your career grow or to compliment your personal brand, Public Relation is a powerful tool.
- As with any form of marketing, it is very important in the beginning to make yourself clear about your commitments and defined goals.
- The first thing is to know what PR is and what is not. According to Former Apple executive, Jean-Louise Gassée
- “Advertising is complimenting you are good but PR is a strategy to bring someone else to say you are good”.
- If you want to know in depth the effects of applying PR strategy, you can watch movies on Public relations and Journalism
There are hundreds of AI tools available in the market, you can use to build your personal brand, everybody is using these tools in the market very smartly. Opportunities of PR usually fall under 3 categories: owned, paid, and earned.
Owned is the top-notch strategy, when you have complete control of the market, you can manipulate it in any way. It includes your website, social media feeds, and your blog.
- I would like to share an example that appears in Shark Tank recently.
- Parul Gulati, who owned a brand named Niche Hairs and she is a famous celebrity as well.
- She spent nothing on ads because her social media was already very strong.
- She sends traffic from her Instagram to her website and establishes a successful business model.
- Her product is unique, having less competition and she manages to become a successful entrepreneur
Paid PR opportunities include Pay Per Click advertising techniques that you use to build your brand identity in front of the unfamiliar public.
- It includes buying advertising spaces that are available on social media, which can give you massive reach on the internet at specific demographics.
- This works also as an opportunity for social media influencers to find sponsorship opportunities.
- For example local and sporting events. You can create your advertising space on social media, work on it to bring traffic, and thereafter, brands will reach you automatically and you will make a hell lot of money.
Earned PR is essentially the result of applying the first two approaches in the right way.
- It is the strategy when your existing customers work as extra PR channels for you and this particularly acts very powerful.
- They follow your social media handle, retweet your posts and review your products as well which led to a boost in your conversion rates and makes your youtube videos or blogs viral in a shorter time.
Public Relations are Multifaceted
It is easy to think that PR is all about bringing messages to your brands but as a matter of fact there is a lot more than that.
It is about using different tactics to make your brand popular. That could include:
- Visiting events locally and internationally, making your network strong with customers and other business owners
- Build a strong community by participating in different projects that support local organizations, providing education, or making charitable donations.
- Whether you a communicating to the general public, house, or any other businesses, your brand should have a stand-alone attitude. You should have a strong portfolio, attractive or motivating for others, and above all consistency across all channels is very important.
- Influencer marketing is becoming a very powerful tool for businesses or individuals. They don’t focus on having millions of followers but they build a strong relationship with the experts or local leaders in your field
PR for when Things go Wrong
Developing a PR strategy also means thinking about your future. So, we have discussed many good things about PR. Now, what if things go horribly wrong or there is some crisis? How are you going to respond?
This can happen to anyone. You need to be ready for the worst outcome. As Benjamin Franklin said: “It takes many good reasons to build a reputation but only one bad reason to lose it”.
A complete PR strategy is required to build your personal brand with good thought and lots of commitment
I hope you have found this article useful and if you want to read more related topics you can subscribe to our newsletter.